The Faculty welcomes interest from suitably qualified applicants in this year's British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme, for awards to be taken up in September or October 2018. The scheme is designed to "offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship."
Further details can be found on the British Academy website.
The Faculty will consider expressions of interest in two gathered fields. The deadline for the first gathered field is Friday 14 July 2017, and the deadline for the second gathered field is Monday 14 August 2017. Applicants may apply to either gathered field; there is no advantage to choosing one over the other.
Applicants applying to hold fellowships in the Faculty of English Language and Literature at Oxford are asked to follow the steps listed below:
1. Consider whether this is the best year for you to make the application. In the 2015/16 round the British Academy introduced a new resubmission rule. Applicants will only be able to resubmit the following year if they are invited to do so by the British Academy.
2. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. You must have/expect to have obtained your doctorate by 1 April 2018 and after 1 April 2015, plus you must not have held a permanent academic post.
3. Think about who your referee for the BA application will be. One referee, usually the external examiner, is required. For guidance on the choice of referee see the British Academy FAQs. (This referee does not need to supply a reference for the internal Faculty deadline.)
4. Identify and approach a potential Faculty mentor. Ask your mentor to write a brief statement of support, confirming that they would be happy to act in this role. Statements and any questions about them should be emailed to email@example.com by noon on 14 July 2017 or 14 August 2017.
5. Prepare and submit the Expression of Interest form (below) to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on 14 July 2017 or 14 August 2017.